Personnel Records Administration Procedure
Procedure Number: 2.4-P
Current Effective Date: 11/03/2023
Original Effective Date: 11/03/2023
Revision Dates: 0
This procedure documents the management of KCTCS personnel records.
This procedure applies to all employees.
3. Types of Documents
The types of documents retained in personnel files may include, but are not limited to:
- Application for employment,
- Résumés or curriculum vitae,
- Diplomas, certificates, training records, official credentials including a current
official transcript, and related documentation regarding personal accomplishments,
- Payroll activation and authorization records,
- Acknowledgment forms,
- Performance evaluations and related documentation,
- Faculty promotion and tenure documentation,
- Disciplinary records and related documentation,
- Employment documentation and official correspondence,
- Salary and benefit information,
- Exit interview documentation, and
- Any additional information that KCTCS deems necessary.
4. Electronic Filing Process
To add documents to an employee’s electronic personnel file, Human Resources staff, either at a college or the System Office:
- Receives documents for scanning into the employee’s electronic personnel file or electronic
copies of documents.
- Verifies the authenticity of documents, including official transcripts gathered as
part of an employee’s credentials in accordance with Administrative Policy 2.4.2.
- Scans or uploads documents into personnel file with the appropriate designation as
to type of document.
- A second employee may be designated to verify the quality and content of the image
and that documents are correctly filed.
- Paper documents can be destroyed once they have been verified and scanned.
- Records management and retention is governed by applicable state laws, including the State University Records Retention Schedule established by the Kentucky Department of Libraries and Archives.
5. Access to Records
- KRS 61.878 permits any employee to inspect and copy almost any record relating to that employee.
Current employees may make a request for their own personnel file to Human Resources,
and must allow sufficient time for Human Resources to prepare documentation.
- External entities seeking employment verification will be provided the following information:
- Dates of employment
- Salary information if requested
- The KCTCS President will designate an Official Records Custodian for KCTCS. Disclosure
of employee personnel records to external entities is made in the following circumstances:
- To protect KCTCS’ legal interests.
- In response to a law enforcement authority, when appropriate.
- In accordance with federal, state, or local government law or regulation that requires
disclosure to other parties, including Kentucky Open Records law, or the Family Educational
Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) for student employees.
- In response to a lawfully issued administrative summons or judicial order including
a search warrant or subpoena. A subpoena or other legal requirement to produce the
personnel file shall be reviewed by the KCTCS Office of General Counsel prior to release
of the information.
- In compelling circumstances involving the immediate health or safety of the employee.
- To protect KCTCS’ legal interests.
6. Faculty Promotion and Tenure Records
The faculty promotion process records and the final documents are maintained in portfolios for each individual faculty member in the electronic content management system (ECMS).
- The promotion process records, from the invitation to the faculty member through to
final decision, including any appeals, are maintained in the ECMS.
- Employee transcripts maintained in the personnel file and evaluations (PPEs) are imported
into the promotion portfolio automatically.
- All other documents in the promotion portfolio are manually imported by the faculty
member, mentors, Office of the President, and review committees.
- Employee transcripts maintained in the personnel file and evaluations (PPEs) are imported into the promotion portfolio automatically.
- Once the promotion is ratified by the Board of Regents, the portfolio becomes final and maintained permanently in the ECMS. Human Resources, Office of General Counsel, Office of the President, and the faculty member have access to the final portfolio