Policy Relating to Implementation of Online Learning Instructional Support
Policy Number: 4.14
Current Effective Date: 04/04/2023
Original Effective Date: 05/09/2001
Revision Dates: 02/13/2002, 03/18/2003, 01/05/2004, 08/30/2006, 08/19/2008, 08/24/2010, 06/18/2013, 07/17/2013, 08/04/2014, 04/04/2023
Revision Number: 10
Revision Summary: Revision to new format and promulgation of administrative procedure
Responsible Official: Chancellor
References: Administrative Procedure 4.14-P
This policy supports the successful implementation of online learning instruction by Internet and other distance modalities.
This policy applies to staff of System Office, Home College, and Delivering College, and the Online Student.
- Home College is defined as the college to which the student is admitted and from which
the student will receive a credential upon successful completion of a program of study.
The Home College must have program approval to serve as the Home College for a given
- Delivering College is defined as the college at which the faculty member teaching
the class is employed (faculty member may be employed by more than one college as
- Online Learning refers to courses delivered by the Internet (World Wide Web). Online
learning may be a combination of synchronous and asynchronous or only asynchronous.
The teacher and student are separated by time or place or both time and place.
- Online Learning Peer Team includes one representative from each college recommended
by College Presidents for appointment by the KCTCS President.
- KCTCS Online is the umbrella name for presenting all courses offered via the Internet across the System.
3.2 Online Course Delivery Practices
- All online learning modalities will reflect the Principles of Quality Online Courses
established by the Online Learning Peer Team and reviewed by Academic Council.
- All online learning courses will meet the KCTCS Essential Standards for course quality.
- The Online Learning Peer Team will identify and recommend policies and procedures
in online learning, then reviewed by Academic Council.
- Courses and programs to be delivered at a distance will be based upon appropriate
needs assessments and demand as determined at the local level and implemented in coordination
with the KCTCS System Online Learning Office.
- KCTCS policies and procedures shall be applied to all credential-seeking and visiting
- To ensure compliance with each college’s accreditation standards, online learning activities will maintain compliance with all accreditation requirements.
Administrative Procedure 4.14-P implements this policy.