KCTCS Board of Regents Policies
184.108.40.206 KCTCS College Board of Directors
In compliance with KRS 164.600, there shall be a Board of Directors for each college. The Board of Regents may designate that a local Board of Directors serve more than one college. Each Board of Directors shall:
- Recommend one (1) candidate for college president/chief executive officer from three (3) candidates provided by the President of the Kentucky Community and Technical College System. The President shall have the authority to make the final appointment and shall not be bound by the recommendation from the Board of Directors;
- Evaluate the college president/chief executive officer and advise the KCTCS President of his or her performance. The President of the Kentucky Community and Technical College System has final authority for the appointment and termination of the college president/chief executive officer;
- Approve budget requests for recommendation to the Kentucky Community and Technical College System;
- Adopt and amend an annual operating budget and submit it [through appropriate channels] to the Board of Regents of the Kentucky Community and Technical College System for approval as to the compliance with its guidelines; and
- Approve a strategic plan that is developed in coordination with local employers, civic leaders, campus constituents, and other postsecondary institutions in the region and that is consistent with the strategic agenda of the General Assembly.
The president/chief executive officer of each college shall have full authority and discretion regarding the use and management of the budget approved by the Board of Regents for the Kentucky Community and Technical College System under KRS 164.350.
Each Board of Directors shall consist of ten (10) members, seven (7) of whom shall be appointed by the Governor from nominees of the respective college nominating commission established under KRS 164.602 for a term set by law pursuant to Section 23 of the Constitution of Kentucky. The other three (3) board members shall be one (1) member of the teaching faculty, one (1) member of the staff, and one (1) member of the student body. An appointed member's term shall be six (6) years.
The faculty member shall be on the teaching or research faculty of the college. The faculty member shall be elected by secret ballot of all full-time faculty members of the college. Faculty members shall serve for terms of three (3) years and until their successors are elected and qualified. Faculty members shall be eligible for reelection, but they shall be ineligible to continue to serve as members of the boards if they cease to be members of the teaching staff of the college. Elections to fill vacancies shall be for the unexpired term in the same manner as provided for original election. The staff member shall be a classified or mid-management employee who does not hold faculty rank and who does not hold an upper administrative position.
The staff member shall be elected by secret ballot of all full-time staff members of the college. Staff members shall serve for terms of three (3) years and until their successors are elected and qualified. Staff members shall be eligible for reelection, but shall be ineligible to continue to serve as members of the boards if they cease to be members of the staff of the college. An election to fill a vacancy for an unexpired term shall be held in the same manner as an election to an original full term.
The student member shall be elected by secret ballots from the student body of the college to serve a term of one (1) year. The student member shall be a full-time student who maintains permanent residency in the Commonwealth of Kentucky.
If a Board of Directors is designated by the Board of Regents to serve more than one college, the KCTCS President shall define procedures for the selection of the faculty, staff, and student representatives to the Board of Directors to ensure that there is opportunity for all colleges to be represented.
The members of the Board of Directors shall receive no compensation for their services, but shall be paid for their actual and necessary expenses.
No citizen member of the Board of Directors shall have a conflict of interest in accordance with KRS 45A.340 or be a relative of any employee of the college under its jurisdiction. A person who is a member of the Board on July 15, 1998, who is a relative of an employee of the college may finish out the appointed term of office but the member may not be reappointed. As used in this section, "relative" means father, mother, brother, sister, husband, wife, son, daughter, aunt, uncle, son-in-law, and daughter-in-law.
04/30/1999, 07/01/2000, 02/20/2004