Refunds for Tuition, Fees, and Charges for Services
Procedure Number: 5.7.7-P
Current Effective Date: 01/01/2019
Original Effective Date: 07/01/2005
Revision Dates: 07/01/2005, 07/01/2010, 10/12/2018
Revision Number: 3
Responsible Official: System Director of Financial Services
To define refund for tuition, fees, and charges for services.
This procedure applies to all KCTCS employees and students.
Refunds for tuition and fees are per KCTCS’ Administrative Policy 5.4.3.
- Refunds based on academic terms and sessions.
- Refunds for courses, credit or noncredit, are based on the length of the session.
To receive a refund a student must officially withdraw within the refund period.
- KCTCS offers students institutionally developed special examinations to demonstrate mastery of course content and receive credit towards program requirements.
- Special examinations are course specific and charges are separate from regular tuition
- $20 non-refundable per course charge is required for written assessment exam
- $40 non-refundable per course charge for practical assessment exam
- Special exam charges are payable in full at time of exam
Students enrolled in courses from which they elect to take a special examination in lieu of completing the course must officially withdraw from the course.
- Withdrawal date determines the status of the student’s assessment, refund and grade.
- Special examination credit is awarded using the test credit process.
- Please contact your college’s office of student affairs for application requirements.
- Not all fees, charges for services, activities, and/or fines are refundable.
To assure recovery of federal financial aid funds the Kentucky Community and Technical College System adopted the Federal Return of Title IV Funds policy described in section 668.22 of the Higher Education Amendments of 1998.
- Includes the requirements of prop rate (proportional) refund to the federal student financial aid program if aid recipients withdraw during the first 60% of the term.
KCTCS chancellor’s office may approve non-refundable tuition and/or fees for specific credit programs with enrollment limitations.
College president/chief executive officer (CEO) is authorized to approve and implement limited exceptions to the refund policy.
- Exceptions shall not relieve the student of responsibility to provide official notification of withdrawal as an eligibility requirement to receive a refund.
- All exceptions of refund policy must ensure compliance with relevant regulations promulgated
by authorized agencies of the federal, state, and local government.
- All refund exception request must be in writing and the approval retained for audit purposes.
5. Refundable Fees and Charges
Refundable fees and charges for services are those specific fees and charges listed in the ‘one tuition charge’ section of the KCTCS Schedule of Approved Charges as approved in the KCTCS annual budget process.
All fees and/or charges are nonrefundable, unless listed as refundable.
6. Regularly Schedules Services
Charges for regularly scheduled services (testing, seminars etc.) listed on the KCTCS Schedule of Approved Charges as approved as part of the KCTCS annual budget process.
Payment for approved scheduled charges are due at enrollment and refunded based official withdrawal date from the session.
Non-Scheduled Activities, Charges, and Fines
Non-scheduled Activities, Charges, and Fines
- Charges for non-scheduled activities, charges and fines (returned checks, late payment, lost book, etc.) are due at time activity occurs.
- Non-scheduled activities, charges and fines are nonrefundable.
Prearranged Training and Testing with an Enrollment Cap
- Tuition and charges for customized courses are payable upon registration, unless prior arrangements, including third party contracts, are made with the college.
- Third party contract billings can include a non-refundable service charge unless contract arrangement prohibit, e.g. the Nurse Aide Program.
- Payment for approved tuition and charges are due at enrollment, refunds issued upon official withdrawal from the session.
- Testing charges may be refunded upon official withdrawal, provided the withdrawal is at least five working days prior to test date.
- Enrollment substitutions may be made up with the day of testing.
Refunds Percentages Based on Session Weeks
- Students who official withdrawal may receive a tuition refund based on the official date of withdrawal for the academic term and session.
- Calendar days include all Saturdays and Sundays, however, exclude KCTCS recognized holidays.
Last day to Officially Withdraw Refund Schedule
|Session||100% Refund||50% Refund||0% Refund|
|16-Weeks||Day 7||Day 8-29||Day 30+|
|15-Weeks||Day 7||Day 8-27||Day 28+|
|14-Weeks||Day 6||Day 7-25||Day 26+|
|13-Weeks||Day 6||Day 7-24||Day 25+|
|12-Weeks||Day 5||Day 6-22||Day 23+|
|11-Weeks||Day 5||Day 6-20||Day 21+|
|10-Weeks||Day 4||Day 5-18||Day 19+|
|9-Weeks||Day 4||Day 5-16||Day 17+|
|8-Weeks||Day 4||Day 5-15||Day 16+|
|7-Weeks||Day 3||Day 4-13||Day 14+|
|6-Weeks||Day 2||Day 3-10||Day 11+|
|5-Weeks||Day 2||Day 3-9||Day 10+|
|4-Weeks||Day 1||Day 2-7||Day 8+|
|3-Weeks||Day 1||Day 2-5||Day 6+|
|2-Weeks||Day 1||Day 2-4||Day 5+|
|1-Week||Day 1||Day 2-2||Day 3+|
KCTCS Online Course Refunds
- Refunds for KCTCS Online Course sessions based on the length of the session and official withdraw date.
- Charges for services for KCTCS Online courses are non-refundable unless specifically stated as refundable.