Procedures for Out-of-State Tuition Waiver Policy
Policy Number: 188.8.131.52
Current Effective Date: 11/26/2002
Original Effective Date: 04/30/1999
Revision Dates: 11/26/2002
Revision Number: 1
Responsible Official: Vice President, Administrative Services
The Commonwealth of Kentucky has entered into tuition reciprocity agreements with a number of states contiguous to Kentucky. Those agreements generally provide for residents of selected counties in those states to attend selected institutions of postsecondary education in Kentucky (including some KCTCS colleges) at Kentucky in-state tuition rates.
This KCTCS policy provides an opportunity for any KCTCS college to provide, under certain conditions described below, tuition waivers to residents of selected counties in other states not covered for a KCTCS college by any of the Commonwealth of Kentucky interstate tuition reciprocity agreements.
- The college president/ceo must submit to the chancellor for review and the KCTCS President
for approval an out-of-state tuition waiver plan. This plan must include:
- A listing of the out-of-state counties to which the waiver is to apply;
- Baseline data on the number of students served from those counties for each of the past three years;
- Evidence that students in the identified counties would be well served by expanded access to the programs of the KCTCS colleges;
- A marketing plan and enrollment increase projection for the first three years that the out-of-state tuition waiver plan is in effect;
- Demonstration of financial feasibility, including evidence that within three years
the annual tuition generated from the increased number of students in the identified
counties will equal the average tuition generated by students from those counties
during the three baseline years.
- All students enrolled under the plan must:
- Meet program eligibility requirements;
- Be formally enrolled at the KCTCS college;
- Be assessed out-of state tuition, and
- Request a waiver of out-of-state tuition in writing.
- Under the auspices of a duly approved out-of-state tuition waiver plan, the college
president shall have the authority to grant a waiver of the student having to pay
out-of-state tuition. The waiver must be in writing and retained for audit purposes.
- The difference between in-state tuition and out-of-state tuition will be recorded
- Students receiving the waiver will pay tuition at the in-state rate.
- The college granting the waiver will expense the difference in tuition as a waiver.
The KCTCS President has the prerogative of reviewing a college's out-of-state tuition waiver program at any time, and may require revisions and amendments as necessary. The KCTCS President may revoke approval for college plans for any reason, including failure to adhere to the conditions listed above and overall fiscal viability.