Consensual Relationships Policy
Policy Number: 18.104.22.168
Current Effective Date: 02/11/2020
Original Effective Date: 02/11/2020
Revision Dates: 0
Revision Number: 0
Revision Summary: This was formerly part of the harassment-free workplace policy that has been moved to its own policy.
Responsible Official: KCTCS Vice President, Administrative Services; Vice President, Student Services
References: Administrative Policy 3.3.1
This Policy addresses consensual relationships in KCTCS working and learning environments.
This Policy applies to all KCTCS employees and students. For employees, compliance with this Policy is a condition of employment or continued employment.
- A consensual relationship is a mutually agreed upon amorous, romantic, and/or physically
intimate or sexual relationship. Although “consensual” implies that both parties are
willfully participating in the relationship, there are inherent risks (such as exploitation,
favoritism, and other conflicts of interests) associated with consensual relationships
where a definite power differential exists between the parties.
- To eliminate these inherent risks and ensure a working and learning environment free
from harassment and discrimination, KCTCS prohibits consensual relationships between
an employee and a supervisory employee in his/her chain of command, whether supervision
is direct or indirect.
- Additionally, consensual relationships in the academic context are prohibited between
a student and the following:
- His/her instructor during the time in which the student is enrolled in the instructor’s class,
- His/her advisor, and
- Any college official who is in a position to exert power over the student’s educational
- Any relationships that existed prior to the participants’ affiliation with KCTCS either
as an employee or a student shall be disclosed to the employee’s immediate supervisor,
who will work with the College Human Resources Director and the System Director of
Employee Relations to develop a plan to avoid conflicts of interest or favoritism.
- Employees who violate this Policy will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and
- Arrangements will be made on a case-by-case basis for any students in prohibited relationships that will cause the least disruption to their learning environment.