KCTCS Rank and Promotion Guidelines for Term Contract Faculty
Policy Number: 2.6.3
Current Effective Date: 09/22/2014
Original Effective Date: 02/13/2002
Revision Dates: 06/23/2004, 09/22/2014
Revision Number: 2
Responsible Official: Chancellor
Term contract faculty are those full-time teaching faculty offered non-tenured contracts for specific contract terms as specified in administrative policy.
Whereas a series of employment contracts may be offered at the discretion of the local chief administrative officer over a long-term association with KCTCS, term contract faculty (with the exception of the Lecturer rank) may be awarded promotion in rank for assistant professor, associate professor (without tenure), and professor (without tenure) according to the following process:
- The faculty member must be invited to apply for promotion according to existing promotion
procedures. (See Administrative Policies 2.1 (Track A) and 2.6).
- A promotion portfolio, which meets established promotion criteria, is to be submitted
to the college faculty promotion peer committee utilizing existing procedures by the
annual specified date.
- The existing college faculty promotion peer committee will evaluate the promotion
portfolio; the committee chair will submit the committee’s recommendation to the college
CEO by the annual specified date.
- The college CEO is delegated the authority to approve or deny promotions for term
contract faculty from Instructor to Assistant Professor, Assistant Professor to Associate
Professor, and Associate Professor to Professor. The college CEO shall prepare a letter
that includes comments on the quality of the promotion portfolio, action taken by
the college faculty promotion peer committee, and the CEO action.
- An approved action by the college CEO will be communicated through the Chancellor to the President of KCTCS, who will report it to the KCTCS Board of Regents.
- In the case of denial, the college CEO will inform the faculty member in writing, including the reasons, and also notify the Division Chairperson.
- If the college CEO denies the promotion, the faculty member may appeal to the system promotion appeals committee upon receipt of the written notification of denial from the college CEO, utilizing existing appeal timelines and processes.
Standard Promotion Process for Assistant, Associate Professor, Professor:
- Annual Performance Reviews for Promotion Candidates – January through
first week of February.
- Deadline for submitting promotion folders to college faculty promotion peer
committee - on or before Monday of the second week of February.
- Deadline for college CEO to forward to Chancellor – third week of March.