Policy Number: 2.18
Current Effective Date: 03/18/2022
Original Effective Date: 06/22/1998
Revision Dates: 01/04/2007; 10/25/2020, 03/18/2022
Revision Number: 3
Revision Summary: revised process for verification of credentials pre- and post-hiring
Responsible Official: Vice President, Administrative Services
KCTCS carefully selects new employees through appropriate selection procedures, including but not limited to the receipt of resumes, employment applications, interviews, reference checks, and pre-employment background checks. KCTCS makes decisions regarding employment after all required information has been considered and evaluated.
This selection process helps KCTCS find and employ people who:
- Pursue excellence and are interested in personal success and the success of KCTCS;
- Perform their work with the required skill, ability and competency;
- Work well as part of a team;
- Hold requisite teaching credentials or coursework in accordance with College accreditation standards, or other required licenses/certifications for faculty/staff positions;
- Ensure a safe working and academic environment for employees, students, and the public; and
- Demonstrate a track record of valuing diversity, equity and inclusion.
KCTCS encourages and promotes career opportunities for current employees. If employees are interested in new career opportunities, they may use the employment process to apply for internal vacancies. Opportunities for advancement are also enhanced by self improvement through other educational, training, and development programs.
In addition, college and system officials shall adhere to other KCTCS policies and human resources procedures regarding employment selection.
Employment with Tenure
If approved through the KCTCS faculty promotion/tenure review process, academic administrators hired to fill administrative positions from outside of KCTCS may be granted tenure in an academic unit.
2.18.1 Pre-Employment Background Check
Pre-employment criminal record checks are completed to protect KCTCS’ interests and the well-being of employees, students and other customers, and the public. Prior to becoming an employee of KCTCS, KCTCS shall administer on a system-wide basis a pre-employment background check, which includes a criminal record check, on all initial hires in compliance with KRS Chapter 164.281. The check shall provide background information in at least the following areas:
- Social Security search
- County criminal record search
- Kentucky statewide criminal record search
- National database criminal record search
Employment decisions regarding criminal record checks that indicate an applicant has a criminal conviction shall be made based on criteria including the following:
- The nature and gravity of the offense;
- The length of time passes since the conviction and/or completion of the sentence;
- The nature, scope of responsibilities, and level of authority of the position being sought;
- The applicant’s employment record since the offense and conviction occurred;
- The information contained in professional letter(s) of reference, if available and appropriate;
- The information obtained in reference checks of previous employers, if appropriate;
- The supervisor’s or other college official’s recommendation regarding the hiring of the applicant.
In addition, a comprehensive background check may include, but is not limited to, prior employment verification, professional reference checks, and education confirmation. As appropriate, a credit history, health examination, and/or driving record check may also be obtained.
Procedures for conducting pre-employment background checks and making a determination regarding employment are specified in the related KCTCS human resources procedure.
126.96.36.199 Verification of Credentials for Licensed Professionals
Professional License/Certification verification means ensuring that the selected applicant possesses all the professional licenses/certificates listed on the application, resume or cover letter or otherwise cited by the candidate that qualify the individual for the position sought and verification of any license/certificate required for the position, including verification of the disposition of such licenses/certificates. When a license or certificate is required for a position, the applicant must provide proof of current licensure/certification in good standing, with an expiration date, if any. Prior to a formal offer of employment, the Human Resources Department will verify the licensure/certification is current and the applicant is in good standing with the issuing agency/organization.
The following credentials require official verification and documentation and should be listed on the Employee Credentials Request and Approval Form:
- Minimum education listed on the respective job description and advertised during the recruitment process.
- Certifications, licenses, or other competencies listed on the respective job description and advertised during the recruitment process.
- Previous work experience that serves as the minimum requirement for the position and is listed on the respective job description and advertised during the recruitment process.
Optional information that can be included on the Employee Credentials Request and Approval Form:
- Additional education and work experience that was pivotal in the individual’s selection for employment over other candidates.
- Unique experience and demonstrated competencies that have been substituted for advanced academic preparation.
- Any additional education skills, or credentials obtained while employed by Kentucky Community and Technical College System.
Once all required credentials have been verified by the Human Resources Department, the employee’s supervisor will receive a status update and a copy of the Employee Credentials Request and Approval form. A copy of the Employee Credentials Request Verification and Approval form and all credentials, certificates and licenses will be maintained in the employee’s personnel file.
When certification or licensure is a position requirement, the Human Resources Department will conduct periodic reviews, particularly upon each renewal date, to ensure all licenses and certificates are active and current and the employee is in good standing with the agency that oversees licensure/certification. If the employee is sanctioned by the agency that oversees their license/certification, the employee shall immediately notify their Human Resources Department. The employee's failure to maintain required certification or licensure in good standing or failure to report a sanction may result in disciplinary action up to and including termination.
Falsification or misrepresentation of academic credentials, degrees, certificates or licenses or evidence that degrees offered in support of candidacy for employment have been issued from non-accredited institutions shall invalidate the offer of employment or the employment contract, if already issued, and shall be grounds for immediate separation from employment.
2.18.2 Credit Investigation
Following the requirements imposed by the Federal-Truth-In-Lending and the Fair Credit Reporting Acts (a federal statute that regulates the activities of consumer reporting agencies and users of credit reports, and protects consumers from invasions of privacy by placing certain restrictions on persons who may use or disseminate credit information about consumers), KCTCS may conduct a pre-employment credit check only on those applicants for positions that involve financial responsibility. KCTCS employment may be conditional upon review of the information in the credit check. In addition, KCTCS reserves the right to conduct this credit check at any time after an individual has been employed.
Remember, applicants/employees have certain legal rights to discover and to dispute or explain any information prepared by the credit checking organization(s).
2.18.3 Driver's License and Driving Record
Employees whose work requires operation of a motor vehicle shall present and maintain a valid driver's license and a driving record acceptable to KCTCS’ insurer. Employees may be asked to submit a copy of their driving record to KCTCS periodically. Any changes in an employee’s driving record shall be reported to the immediate supervisor or designated organization representative immediately. Failure to do so may result in disciplinary action, up to and including possible termination.
2.18.4 Health Examinations
KCTCS reserves the right to require an offeree’s or employee's participation in a health examination to determine the employee's ability for performing his/her essential job functions. All such health exams shall be paid for by KCTCS.
2.18.5 New Employee Orientation and Training
Beginning on or about the new employee’s first day of employment, regular employees shall participate in the new employee orientation and training program conducted by personnel from the human resources office, the administration, staff from the new employee’s department, and/or the supervisor. This shall include orientation and training information related to the KCTCS organization; the college organization; the employee’s position responsibilities; policies and procedures; departmental rules, policies, and related information; and employee benefits information. During the orientation and training process the new employee shall be given employment and orientation forms and other documents to be reviewed and completed on a timely basis. Depending on the department's workload, the new employee’s immediate supervisor or other designated individual shall introduce him/her to co-workers, show him/her the office layout, and provide him/her with other pertinent information.
Temporary employees shall participate in an abbreviated orientation and training program.