Community Service Leave Policy
Policy Number: 2.14.17
Current Effective Date: 02/24/2020
Original Effective Date: 02/24/2020
Revision Dates: 0
Revision Number: 0
Revision Summary: new policy creation
Responsible Official: Vice President, Administrative Services
This policy encourages all eligible employees to positively impact their communities by allowing KCTCS employees paid time off to perform volunteer services to facilitate employee self-fulfillment, promote a positive image of KCTCS and KCTCS employees, and/or enhance good KCTCS corporate citizenship in communities across the Commonwealth of Kentucky.
This policy applies to regular full-time KCTCS employees as determined by their college or System Office cabinet area. Unless specifically determined otherwise by the college President, System Office Vice President, or their designee, this policy does not apply to part-time or temporary employees, employees in their introductory period (first six months), employees on suspension or leave, or interns.
KCTCS encourages all eligible employees to make a positive difference in their communities throughout the Commonwealth of Kentucky by performing community service at the following:
- non-profit organizations affiliated with the United Way; or,
- an appropriate organization/event approved in advance by the college President, System Office Vice President, or their designee; or,
- schools under the umbrella of the Kentucky Department of Education (KDE).
KCTCS shall allow employees up to one day of paid time off, designated Community Service Leave (CSL), from regularly scheduled work hours each fiscal year (July 1 to June 30) to perform such volunteer services. The following shall apply:
- CSL is a benefit to eligible KCTCS employees and not an entitlement. This policy and
any implementing procedures may be amended or revoked at any time, with or without
notice, in the sole discretion of the college President or System Office Vice President.
- Unused CSL is neither paid out at termination of employment, nor carried over to the
next fiscal year.
- CSL is purely a voluntary choice for employees; No supervisor or manager may require
an employee to participate in volunteer activities, nor take adverse action against
any employee for failing to do so, or for actions/inactions while volunteering, unless
applicable law or other policy renders such conduct subject to KCTCS disciplinary
- Since CSL activities are voluntary, non-work activities, KCTCS resources may not be
used to conduct them and KCTCS worker’s compensation and other insurance does not
apply. This does not preclude coverage by employer-provided health insurance, if applicable.
- Staff are encouraged but not required to wear KCTCS-identifying attire, name badges, pins, and/or buttons during CSL service time.
Each KCTCS college or System Office Cabinet area shall establish its own procedure for implementing this policy. Such local procedure shall not conflict with this policy, which shall otherwise supersede and control.