KCTCS Mission Approval Procedures
Policy Number: 1.2.1
Current Effective Date: 05/10/2007
Original Effective Date: 11/30/2004
Revision Dates: 05/10/2007
Revision Number: 1
Responsible Official: KCTCS President
KCTCS Board of Regents policy and accreditation criteria require that each college’s mission statement be periodically reviewed and approved by the governing board, the KCTCS Board of Regents.
The college mission statement is to be consistent with state statutes, the Council on Postsecondary Education’s strategic agenda, and the KCTCS mission. It shall be clearly defined, published, specific to the institution, and appropriate to an institution of higher education, addressing teaching and learning and, where applicable, research and public service.
A. Mission Statement Approval Process
- Review of mission statement by college faculty, staff, and administration.
- Endorsement by local college Board of Directors.
- Review by Chancellor.
- Review and approval by the KCTCS President and the KCTCS Board of Regents.
B. KCTCS College Mission Format
The mission statement is traditionally a brief document incorporating some or all of the following information:
- a brief history of the institution (Reference the transfer of the institution to KCTCS governance);
- pertinent descriptive information (Reference the public, comprehensive nature of the college and community and technical college);
- statements expressing essential beliefs, values, or intent of the institution;
- description of the types of students which the institution hopes to attract, often accompanied by statements about the types of occupations or endeavors which graduates will be prepared to undertake;
- delineation of the geographic region for which the institution intends to provide service;
- outline of the major functions of the institution (e.g., general education, developmental education, professional education, student development, continuing education, etc.); and
- general description of the skills, knowledge, experience, and attitudes ideally to be acquired or developed by the institution’s students. (Goals)
The format may reflect two sections – mission of the college and goals of the college in order to support the college’s on-going institutional effective process.
C. Periodic Review
The college mission statement shall be reviewed annually as part of the institutional effectiveness process. It shall be submitted to the KCTCS Board of Regents for approval at least once every three years.